Labour day facts , the labour market and the may day celebration of the year 2018
DID YOU KNOW THAT!!!
- The first of May is a national public holiday in many countries worldwide
- May Day has shared a date with International Workers’ Day since the 1880s.
- International Workers’ Day, also known as Labour Day or Workers’ Day in some countries and often referred to as May Day,
- At the time, labour movements around the world were fighting for fair work accommodations like eight-hour workdays and unions.
- The date was chosen because it aligned with the anniversary of the Haymarket affair in Chicago, where police killed four people at a peaceful protest after someone threw a bomb into the crowd.
- In most cases as “Labour Day”, “International Workers’ Day” or some similar name – although some countries celebrate a Labour Day on other dates significant to them.
- The United States of America celebrates Labour Day on the first Monday of September.
- In Nigeria Every 1 May, workers in Nigeria converge at the stadium to commemorate this public holiday. It is a recognized holiday all workers must observe.
- On that day the president of the Nigeria Labour Congress addresses workers and this has been a tradition for decades.
- Unemployment rate, collapse of industries and subsequent loss of jobs could lead to myriads of health challenges.
- These challenges can lead to series of health conditions such as obesity, heart diseases, diabetes, depression, gastrointestinal problems and other diseases of the heart.
- Most Nigerian workers are actually losing sleep worrying about work and inadequate facilities due to the economic meltdown in the country.
- We have had cases of government workers in some states that lost their lives due to non-payment of salaries by government.
- Many pensioners have died due to non-payment of their pensions and therefore died of hunger and lack of effective medical care.
- Employers don’t take the issue of occupational health and safety serious because most of them think keeping up to date on health and safety of workers will make them spend more money.
- Research and experience have shown that when workers are healthy and the workplace is secured, you will achieve maximal output due to improved access to health services.Envision Global Care Foundation commemorate with the world as we say fair and just treatment to any form of labour especially to health workers who with diligence and hard work effect the cause of humanity selflessly.
YOU CAN ALSO READ: